Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Goodbye sucks

Tonight is my last group yoga class, at least for a while. I am both very sad and a bit relieved. I need a break, particularly with some of the things going on in my life right now. I have taught for seven years more or less without cessation and I'm tired. It is never easy for me to stand in front of a room full of people. I am basically a shy, introverted person who has to try really, really hard to command a room the way you must when teaching. But I worry that I am abandoning the students. Don't get me wrong, I have no illusions about my importance in the grand scheme of peoples' lives. I simply like being part of peoples' lives. I have inserted myself there and now am walking away. I know that the students will move on and find another teacher or teachers. But I still worry. Who will they find? Will she/he/they lead them down a good road? It is tempting to call them "my" students but they never belonged to me, or anyone else for that matter. That they floated into my classroom and my life is simply my good fortune. But I never had any claim on them, nor them on me. We have to accept that people pass in and out of our lives and treasure the time we were able to spend with them. And then we have to let them go. Of course, letting go is what I have tried to teach the students all along but it seems to be me who didn't learn the lesson well enough. Life is impermanent and thus so are relationships. This is what the Buddha taught. Of course, I wouldn't mind if one of the aforementioned students who don't belong to me was to find me on Facebook or shoot me an email sometime.

3 comments:

  1. Ole Blue The HereticJune 17, 2009 at 7:07 PM

    When one Journey ends another begins. I forget which wise a** said that and the internet did not give me any clues, internet you have failed me, but it is true.

    Sometimes we get tired of walking on the path and need to move off the path. Allow our feet to touch the green grass. Allow our minds to wander through the forest of the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never find another teacher like you! There is no one like you. I've learned so much from you, & your kind, gentle voice will always be in my head as I practice yoga, even if there's another teacher at the front of the room. A teacher provides a service & I thank you for your service & your friendship. I hope to continue the friendship & hope you will teach again someday - you have a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ole Blue The HereticJuly 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM

    Ok going through the blog roll. You can tell your cat is lost story. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete